Saturday, March 28, 2009

One of my favourite pieces of church music

A couple of years ago I was introduced to the wonderful world of classical church choral music. I bought a CD of St. John's Passion, composed by J.S. Bach (the inspiration for the name of this blog!). The rich interplay of theology, melody, Biblical text, harmony, intensity, creativity, and personal reflection embodies an incredible creative work. I was delighted my daughter has invited me to a forthcoming performance by the Brisbane Chamber Choir.
The work tells the story of Jesus’ capture, interrogation and the events leading up to his crucifixion and burial. The complete words are available here.

Appropriately, Good Friday (April 10) is the performance date.
St John’s Cathedral, Ann Street, Brisbane is the location.
Time is 7pm. Cost is FREE!

1 comment:

  1. My all time favorite setting of St. John's passion is Arvo Part's Passio. In comparison to Bach it's spare and contemplative, but has an intensity that can take you by surprise.

    It's nice to see another quantum mechanic blogging on science and theology.

    ReplyDelete