Monday, June 1, 2009

Don't waste your life!

My dear godly wife, Robin is a big fan of John Piper. We are currently reading together his book, don't waste your life. In chapter one, Piper recounts how as a searching young college student, discovering the books of C.S. Lewis changed his life:
He has made me wary of chronological snobbery ... he showed that newness is no virture and oldness is no vice. Truth and beauty and goodness are not determined by when they exist. Nothing is inferior for being old, and nothing is valuable for being modern.... To this day I get most of my soul-food from centuries ago....
He demonstrated for me and convinced me that rigorous, precise, penetrating logic is not opposed to deep, soul-stirring feeling and vivid, lively -even playful- imagination. He was a "romantic rationalist." He combined things that almost everybody today assumes are mutually exclusive: rationalism and poetry, cool logic and warm feeling, disciplined prose and free imagination...

No comments:

Post a Comment