Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A peaceful death

Earlier I wrote how in Les Miserables, the self-righteous policeman Javert was so tormented by receiving mercy from Valjean that he took his own life.
It is interesting to contrast the death of Valjean, who dies with his adopted daughter, Fantine at his side. I just listened to this again. Something is lost without the music but here are the lyrics:

FANTINE
Come with me
Where chains will never bind you
All your grief
At last, at last behind you
Lord in Heaven
Look down on him in mercy.

VALJEAN
forgive me all my trespasses
And take me to your glory.

VALJEAN, FANTINE, EPONINE
Take my hand
And lead me to salvation
Take my love
For love is everlasting
And remember
The truth that once was spoken
To love another person
Is to see the face of God.

1 comment:

  1. Quite a contrast between the death of the proud and that of the humble.

    ReplyDelete