Sunday, September 27, 2009

Can Hollywood make history?


Given that I think there is a paucity of good movies, I like to post about any good ones I see.
My family just watched Thirteen Days, a Hollywood production, staring Kevin Costner, about the Cuban missile crisis in 1962.

A natural question about such a movie is, how accurate is it historically? For an answer, I found a helpful and balanced piece, by Ernest May, a Harvard Professor, who wrote the book on which the movie is based, drawing on secret White House tapes JFK made.

May concludes:
Thirteen Days is not a substitute for history. No one should see the movie expecting to learn exactly what happened. But the film comes close enough to truth that I will not be unhappy if it is both a big success now and a video store staple for years to come, with youths in America and around the world getting from it their first impressions of what was probably the greatest international crisis in all of human experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment