Sunday, March 14, 2010

What does faith conflict with?

It is commonly stated that faith is in conflict with reason. But in Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis takes a very different view, arguing that the real conflict is actually faith and reason versus emotion and imagination. He discusses this in first of two chapters on Faith.
Lewis discusses how he came to change his mind and see faith as a virtue:

I was assuming that if the human mind once accepts a thing as true it will automatically go on regarding it as true, until some real reason for reconsidering it turns up. In fact, I was assuming that the human mind is completely ruled by reason. But that is not so. For example, my reason is perfectly convinced by good evidence that anaesthetics do not smother me and that properly trained surgeons do not start operating until I am unconscious. But that does not alter the fact that when they have me down on the table and clap their horrible mask over my face, a mere childish panic begins inside me. I start thinking I am going to choke, and I am afraid they will start cutting me up before I am properly under. In other words, I lose my faith in anaesthetics. It is not reason that is taking away my faith: on the contrary, my faith is based on reason. It is my imagination and emotions. The battle is between faith and reason on one side and emotion and imagination on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment