Monday, May 30, 2011

Creation: the basics

As I posted earlier my son and I are reading through Alister McGrath's small book Theology: The Basics. The chapter we discussed this morning on Jesus, I thought was particularly good. However, the purpose of this post was just to note that I found the previous chapter on Creation a little disappointing.

I felt this had too much emphasis on the issue of natural theology, and the associated controversy concerning its role in theology. Moreover, McGrath does not emphasize several key aspects of the doctrine of creation.

First, because God is the Creator we accountable to Him and He is worthy of our devotion and obedience (Revelation 4:11)

11 "Worthy are you, our Lord and God,
   to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
   and by your will they existed and were created."

Second, creation is for a purpose: for us to live in a covenantal relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment