Friday, December 2, 2011

Theology is a balancing act

The history and content of theology is full of debates, divisions, and controversies over a range of specific topics. I think a common factor in most of these is that people on different sides have had different views about the relative importance/time/emphasis/words to be placed on one side of the coin. Consider the contrasts intrinsic to the linked topics:

The death and resurrection of Jesus
Creation and redemption
Judgement and grace
Faith and works
Old and New Testament
The sovereignty of God and the freedom of humanity

In all cases one of the pair cannot be separated from the other. The challenge is a balanced perspective which respects each part without neglecting the other.
Then there is the Trinity!...
Theology is a balancing act.

1 comment:

  1. What would you say if I said that I didn't like the idea of 'balance' between issues like this and preferred to discuss the 'nature' of the relationship between the two?

    Creation and redemption I still struggle with, in terms of the practicals, though I'm working on my O'Donovan-ness to bring them together.

    ReplyDelete