Thursday, February 23, 2012

The secularisation of a wedding vow

My wife and I went to see The Vow at the movie theatre. I thought it was good harmless romantic fun. It also has strong themes of forgiveness, redemption, the importance of family, and a passion for life.
However, the undoubted underlying world view is that romantic love conquers all and being happy is the ultimate goal of life.

Then, I was a bit disappointed when I cam home and read the Wikipedia page. The movie is based on a true story recounted in a book, The Vow: the Kim and Kritick Carpenter Story. The Carpenter's Christian faith was key to their marriage vow, to their commitment to one another, and their perseverance after the tragic accident.
The Hollywood movie has removed any reference to Christian faith.

1 comment:

  1. I suspect because the American public gets enough of the Christian goodness thrown at them by the politicians. Honestly, the conservative Right seems to treat Christianity as a ticket to power.

    But let me ask, is the message you got immediately following the movie ("It also has strong themes of forgiveness, redemption, the importance of family, and a passion for life.
    [T]he undoubted underlying world view is that romantic love conquers all....") in any way lessened?

    ReplyDelete