Monday, March 5, 2012

Effective strategies for helping the poor

I previously posted about some Christian economists perspective on the ten best strategies for helping the poor.

It is interesting to read a response from someone working at the grass roots about the relative effectiveness of some of these strategies. It highlights to me the importance of context, education, follow up, and community based strategies. I think this is one of the reasons why Compassion's child sponsorship programs work so well.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting both the original article and the response. I found both of them very interesting, although I thought the response was in danger of falling into the trap that the original article was aiming to combat - the use of anecdotal evidence over properly researched evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andrew. You have a good point that I overlooked.

    ReplyDelete