Thursday, February 14, 2013

Is my Jesus a fantasy or reality?


Who do I think Jesus is and was? How about you?
Here is the challenge of N.T. Wright:
“Remember the slogan of Melanchthon in the sixteenth century: it isn’t enough to know that Jesus is a Savior; I must know that he is the Savior for me. I agree with Melanchthon, but I think we have to say it the other way round as well. We must today stress that it isn’t enough to believe that Jesus is “my Savior” or even “my Lord”; you must know who Jesus himself was and is. Without that, merely saying that we have Jesus “within our heart” or that we “have a sense that Jesus loves me” or whatever can easily turn into mere fantasy, wish fulfillment. That has happened before, and it will happen again, unless it is earthed in actual historical reality. 
In order to know that you’re not just making it up, not fooling yourself… you must be able to say that this Jesus, who we know in prayer, this Jesus we meet when we are ministering to the poorest of the poor, this Jesus we recognize in the breaking of the bread, this Jesus is the same Jesus who lived and taught and loved and died and rose again in the first century.
This is from Wright's response to a collection of essays about his work.
I thank Samuel Vaiphei for bringing this to my attention. It provides motivation for the North Delhi Evangelical Graduate Fellowship to do a five week study of Wright's book The Challenge of Jesus. I wish I could be a part of the study group.

No comments:

Post a Comment