Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Connecting to nature and to each other

My family watched The Tree of Life. It is definitely the strangest and slowest movie I have watched in a while. It is just a bit too creative and clever for its own good. Furthermore, at times it is hard to follow and some of the symbolism gets lost, until you read a guide, such as the Wikipedia page.

Nevertheless, I would still recommend it because it features some spectacular cinematography and touches on and ties together such profound themes: creation, grace versus law, family, hope, parenting, death, tragedy, grief, natural history, boyhood, marriage, ...
Some of this is through a Christian filter but some, such as heaven, is just typical Hollywood schmaltz...
I also love the use of the Smetana's Moldau, one of my favourite pieces of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment